Skip to main content

Diego Simeone Leaves Julian Alvarez Out of Atletico’s La Liga Opener

Julian Alvarez celebrates after scoring against Tottenham
  • Diego Simeone said today that Julian Alvarez will not play in Atletico Madrid’s La Liga opener against Malaga on Wednesday
  • Atletico bought the 26-year-old from Manchester City for €75 million in 2024 and Miguel Angel Gil Marin said the club would not accept even €200 million
  • Spanish journalist Gerrard Romero has confirmed that Julián Álvarez’s private jet has landed in Barcelona ahead of direct talks with Deco today

Alvarez Omitted for Malaga Opener

Atletico Madrid are preparing to begin their LaLiga campaign against Malaga without Julian Alvarez, with Diego Simeone confirming on Tuesday that the Argentina striker will not be involved in Wednesday’s fixture.

The decision comes while Alvarez remains at the centre of a transfer dispute involving Barcelona. The 26-year-old joined Atletico from Manchester City in 2024 in a deal worth €75 million, but he has not hidden his wish to leave the club.

During the World Cup, Alvarez said he had spoken to Atletico about a possible move in order to “fulfil my dream”, while Barcelona have been strongly linked with him.

Atletico Stand Firm Despite Barcelona Links

Atletico CEO Miguel Angel Gil Marin has made the club’s position clear, saying they would not accept even €200 million for a player they regard as a major asset and want to retain.

Simeone reinforced that stance before the Malaga match, underlining that the club’s hierarchy had already delivered its decision.

“Miguel Angel is the club’s owner. Nothing is more definitive than the club’s owner, it’s crystal clear. It’s like when a judge hands down a ruling: ‘Dismissed'” Simeone told reporters ahead of Wednesday’s game.

“What he said is crystal clear. From a sports perspective, we want to look out for the person, the player, so he can continue to uphold his reputation.

“We don’t see him playing in this game. I hope that over the next four days, he’ll be closer to where we want him to be.”

Private Jet Lands in Barcelona Ahead of Deco Talks

The situation has developed further, with Spanish journalist Gerrard Romero confirming that Julián Álvarez’s private jet has officially landed in Barcelona ahead of direct showdown talks with Deco.

Key Numbers Behind the Stand-off

CategoryDetail
PlayerJulian Alvarez
Age26
Current clubAtletico Madrid
Former clubManchester City
Transfer fee to Atletico€75 million in 2024
Atletico record49 goals in 106 matches
Reported interested clubBarcelona
Atletico’s stated positionWould not accept even €200 million
Next Atletico matchMalaga on Wednesday
Possible returnAgainst Villarreal on Sunday

Simeone Still Wants Team Built Around Alvarez

Alvarez has scored 49 goals in 106 matches for Atletico, and Simeone indicated that he hopes the forward could be available again for the home fixture against Villarreal on Sunday.

“I still feel the same way I did the other day in Korea (during Atletico’s pre-season tour). I handle the sporting side of things,” Simeone added.

“We talked as we always do and I understand that, from a sporting standpoint, he still needs to step it up a bit to be in top form for Sunday.

“He needs more practice. He’s the best player we have and we’re going to try to build a team around him, keeping his level in mind.”


100% up to $1000 Sign up Bonus
18+ New customers only. 100% match bonus up to $1000. Min deposit $50. 10x rollover requirement. Promocode: MYB100
»