With hundreds of online sportsbooks out there, finding a good esports betting site can be a real challenge. There is no need to worry, though. SportingPedia’s experts have put the hours into vetting dozens of different sportsbooks to see what they have in store for esports bettors.
Our painstaking evaluation enabled us to separate the wheat from the chaff and compile this list of the 10 best sites for esports betting.
The bookies recommended on this page eclipse the competition when it comes to reliability, reputation, and overall betting experience. On top of that, they offer a phenomenal variety of esports markets, catering to a vast range of punter preferences and betting styles.
Top 10 eSports Betting Sites
- $100 for MoneyGram
- $45 for Mastercard and Visa
- $20 for cryptocurrencies
Deposit MethodsWithdrawal MethodsWithdrawal Time
- $5,000 for wire transfers and Bitcoin
- $500 for echecks
- 5 to 7 working days for wire transfers
- 10 to 15 working days for echecks
- 2 working days for Bitcoin
- Protects punters with 256-bit encryption
- 24/7 telephone and live chat support
- A vast array of lines for major and niche sports
- Welcomes customers from the US
- Ideal for cryptocurrency betting
- Clean and highly responsive UI
Xbet is a US-friendly bookie that boasts a nice selection of markets, providing customers with a varied assortment of wagers on more than 25 sports. You can bet on all popular leagues like the NBA, MLB, NFL, and NHL or opt for non-sporting events like the US presidential elections.
The coverage of esports is decent enough, especially when it comes to popular games like League of Legends, Overwatch, and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. With that in mind, the availability depends on the season and whether or not any tournaments for the specific esport have kicked off.
Additionally, Xbet offers customers the convenience of anonymous and time-efficient deposits and withdrawals via an extensive range of cryptocurrencies. Punters can move funds to and from their balance with Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, Ethereum, Cardano, Dogecoin, and Tether.
Customers are recommended to cash out via Bitcoin as it takes the least time and allows for fee-free withdrawals. Punters unfamiliar with how cryptocurrencies work can either opt for standard methods like MoneyGram, Mastercard, and Visa, or read the detailed cryptocurrency guides available on the website.
The user interface is clear and responsive. You can easily switch between different sports and leagues, adjust the odds format, or change your timezone. The customer service is also on par with expectations as support agents are on standby and ready to assist punters at all times.
Bet365Bet Now ReviewRegulators
Min Deposit$10Max Withdrawal
- Gibraltar Gambling Commission (#076)
- UK Gambling Commission (#055148-R-331498-001)
Deposit MethodsWithdrawal MethodsWithdrawal Time
- $38,000 for Skrill
- $10,000 for online banking and PayPal
- $30,000 for credit and debit cards and ecoPayz
- $50,000 for Neteller and bank wire transfers
- Within 24 hours for most e-wallets (12 hours for ecoPayz)
- Between 1 and 5 working days for online banking and cards
- 2 to 10 working days for bank wire transfers
- An admirable range of banking solutions
- Streams more than 600,000 live events per year
- Winner of “Sportsbook of the Year” at the SBC Awards
- A well-known and reliable betting brand
- Many years of industry experience (est. 2000)
- Coverage of popular and lesser-known esports
With over twenty years of industry experience up its sleeve, Bet365 has the reputation of being one of the world’s best online bookmakers. There is hardly anything to frown upon when it comes to this superb sportsbook. We will not exaggerate if we say this is one of the most trusted and recognizable betting brands in the world.
We shall let the figures speak for themselves. The sportsbook services 80 million customers across more than 150 countries and territories, catering to its motley customer base with 21 supported languages and over 25 secure payment methods.
Few rival sportsbooks can compete with Bet365 when it comes to market diversity. The brand uses a proprietary platform to deliver over 600,000 live-streamed events each year. It offers thousands of pre-match and live markets throughout the year, boasting an impressive coverage of more than 40 sports disciplines. Ski jumping, Alpine skiing, horse racing, soccer, golf, cricket, tennis, and basketball comprise only a negligible portion of the sports you will find here.
Bet365 does not disappoint fans of esports either, catering to their needs with an extensive collection of markets. Betting action is available for just about any esport you can think of. The most notable mentions include Valorant, Overwatch, League of Legends, CS: GO, Wild Rift, Dota 2, StarCraft II, and Arena of Valor.
- $20 for card deposits
- $10 for Bitcoin, Bithereum, and Litecoin
- $50 for bank transfers, Tether, and Ethereum
Deposit MethodsWithdrawal MethodsWithdrawal Time
- $3,000 for checks
- $1,000 for MatchPay
- $9,500 for crypto withdrawals
- Up to 60 minutes for Litecoin, Bithereum, and Ethereum
- Up to 1 day for Bitcoin
- Takes wagers from the US
- Plenty of cryptocurrencies to deposit and withdraw with
- Unavailable to bettors from MD, NY, NJ, DE, and NV
- In-play betting is available for most events
- Support via live chat, telephone, and email
- Detailed betting guides with tips and useful insights
Bovada was launched a decade or so ago by Canadian entrepreneur Calvin Ayre, a well-known name in the offshore gambling circles. Home to an online casino, sportsbook, and poker room, the site focuses on servicing the US market. It welcomes customers from most states, with Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Maryland, and Nevada being the only exceptions.
Bovada’s sportsbook offers a well-rounded selection of sports, including soccer, baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and mixed martial arts. Esports are exceptionally covered as well. Plenty of markets are available for CS: GO, King of Glory, League of Legends, Rainbow 6, Overwatch, Dota 2, Valorant, and StarCraft II.
You can have a flutter on events from major esports tournaments like IEM Road to Rio, ESL One Malaysia, the Elisa Invitational Contenders, the LCS Summer Season, and the LoL European Masters, among others. Betting on virtual sports is another alternative. Bovada provides a choice from virtual soccer, greyhound, horse, and camel races.
Bovada supports payments with cards, courier checks, vouchers, and cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum, and Tether. Crypto withdrawals are processed at no cost, with minimums starting at $10 for BTC, BCH, and LTC. Customer security is a major priority of Bovada. The operator safeguards bettors’ personal and financial information with the latest SSL encryption.
BetRebelsBet NowRegulatorsMalta Gaming Authority (#MGA/B2C/172/2009)Min Deposit$10Max Withdrawal
Deposit MethodsWithdrawal MethodsWithdrawal Time
- $15,000 monthly limit
- $3,000 per single transaction
- Between 3 and 5 business days for bank transfers
- Within 24 hours for all other supported methods
- A trusted and experienced betting operator
- Great assortment of esports
- Razor-sharp odds
- Easy-to-navigate website
- A great live betting section
- A nice range of safe payment methods
BetRebels is an established betting site that stands out from the crowd with competitive odds, user-friendly design, and great versatility of markets. With coverage of more than 30 sports, there is plenty to explore here. The range of niche disciplines is outstanding as the sportsbook takes bets on biathlon, badminton, skiing, water polo, pesapallo, futsal, lacrosse, and many other secondary sports.
The coverage of major sports is laudable as well. Punters can wager on an admirable variety of pre-match and in-game markets for football, hockey, soccer, basketball, and tennis. You can find your desired markets within seconds as the website is neatly structured and very responsive. There is a search bar above the main menu where you can look up events based on championship or team.
BetRebels does not disappoint when it comes to esports, either. Action is available for Kings of Glory, LoL, CS: GO, StarCraft II, Dota 2, and Valorant. We found over a dozen tournaments under the LoL tab alone. Some of the bet types on offer include Match Winner, Number of Maps, Side to Win at Least One Map, Map Winner, Total Kills, and First Blood. The markets on offer are game-specific, however.
888sportBet Now ReviewRegulators
- Malta Gaming Authority (#MGA/CRP/543/2018)
- Ireland Revenue Commissioners
- Gibraltar Gambling Commission (#112 and #113)
- UK Gambling Commission (#39028)
Max Withdrawal$50,000Deposit MethodsWithdrawal MethodsWithdrawal Time
- $20 for iDebit
- $5 for PIX
- $10 for all other deposit methods
- Up to 6 business days for Visa
- Up to 4 business days for Mastercard
- 2 to 3 business days for online banking and e-wallets
- 5 to 8 business days for bank transfers
- Honest and reliable bookmaker
- Cashout feature
- A great range of promotional incentives
- Bet Builder feature
- Extensive sports betting blog
- Dark and light appearance mode
Launched in 2008, 888sport is the dedicated sports brand of 888 Holdings that operates with licenses from the jurisdictions of Malta, Gibraltar, and Great Britain. This highly recognized sportsbook impresses with many standout features, including a great mobile app, a high-quality live streaming service, abundant promotions, live scores, and a handy bet calculator.
On top of these merits, 888sport offers industry-leading odds for about 30 sports disciplines, some of which tend to fall under the radar with many rival sportsbooks. The list of options at 888sport is indeed extensive and includes rugby, football, soccer, darts, snooker, tennis, cricket, basketball, and golf, among many others.
The sportsbook will not let you down if esports are your cup of tea. At 888sport, you can also bet on CS: GO, Overwatch, Dota 2, and League of Legends. You will benefit from the latest esports odds, esports news, and betting tips. The site provides extensive coverage of all major championships and competitions in the esports universe.
As we at SportingPedia are big on mobile wagering, we were pleasantly surprised by the neatly designed apps 888sport offers to Android and iOS users. They mirror all the functionalities of the desktop version of the sportsbook and perform just as well. Loading times are exceptionally quick, not to mention mobile users have access to tons of great features, including in-play wagering, early cashouts, and a bet builder feature.
22BetMin Deposit$1 for the majority of supported methodsMax WithdrawalNo maximum limits for withdrawalsDeposit MethodsWithdrawal MethodsWithdrawal Time
- Up to 7 business days for cards
- Up to 15 minutes for e-wallets
- Up to 24 hours for cryptocurrencies
- Accepts registrations from most countries
- Decent odds
- Extensive range of betting markets
- Fully compatible with portable devices
- A huge selection of payment methods
- 49 language options
Regulated under the jurisdiction of Curacao, 22Bet is one of the most prominent offshore operators on the global gambling market. It offers a full-service sportsbook, equipped with a comprehensive in-play section, an easy-to-use bet slip, and an excellent selection of disciplines. The options range from football, basketball, and soccer all the way to floorball and keirin.
The 22Bet sportsbook is the place to be if you are an avid esports betting buff. The bookie has dedicated an entire section of its website to competitive video gaming. Fans have all their favorite games in one place, including LoL, FIFA, Dota 2, CS: GO, Valorant, StarCraft II, Street Fighter, WarCraft III, and King of Glory. Major and smaller tournaments and competitions both receive in-depth coverage.
But 22Bet does not restrict users solely to the most popular games in the esports universe. Odds are on for lesser-known video games like FlatOut, Killer Instinct, Laser League, Assault Squad, and Dead or Alive. You can even punt on Rumble Stars, an unorthodox multiplayer game that pits two teams of quirky animals against each other on a soccer field.
There is no shortage of payment methods at 22Bet, from a dozen or so cryptocurrencies to conventional cards, e-wallets, and online banking. The minimum deposit is incredibly low at $1, which renders 22Bet a perfect fit for small-scale casual bettors.
Min Deposit$10Max Withdrawal
- Malta Gaming Authority (#MGA/B2C/701/2019)
- Ireland Revenue Commissioners (#1013060)
- UK Gambling Commission (#045143-R-32955-015)
Deposit MethodsWithdrawal MethodsWithdrawal TimeUp to 3 business days
- $10,000 per week
- $40,000 per month
- State-of-the-art betting platform
- Enormous selection of markets
- Great interface and hassle-free navigation
- Around 30 sports on offer
- Sharp odds and tailor-made bets
- Contributes 50% of its profits to sports-related causes
Online since 2017, FansBet is unlike any other bookie on the internet. What makes this sportsbook unique is that it was created by a group of fans who like to give back to the sports community. The brand has launched a unique initiative, allowing fans to nominate the sports-related causes they want to contribute to.
The sportsbook gives back half of its profits to help causes its customers have nominated. The money goes toward various fan clubs, sports fanzines, sports organizations, welfare, and other projects. We can confidently say few sportsbooks can compete with FansBet in terms of generosity and initiative.
But this is hardly the only praiseworthy aspect of FansBet’s operations. The sportsbook boasts an enormous selection of markets at industry-leading odds. Both major and secondary sports are well-covered, with soccer, volleyball, football, basketball, futsal, badminton, and darts being only a few of the available options.
The esports tab will lead you to a neatly structured section where you can easily browse through the daily match list, the top leagues, and the available in-play markets. There is an abundance of bets for StarCraft II, Valorant, League of Legends, Overwatch, and CS: GO. The sportsbook is equipped with a very user-friendly bet slip that enables esports fans to easily place single, combination, and system bets.
EverygameMin Deposit$5Max Withdrawal
Deposit MethodsWithdrawal MethodsWithdrawal Time
- $2,500 per week
- $3,000 for courier checks
- $5,000 for EU SEPA bank transfers
- 5 business days for courier checks
- Between 10 and 15 business days for bank transfers
- Up to 2 days for cryptocurrencies
- Between 2 and 4 business days for EU SEPA bank transfers
- Accepts punters from the United States
- A crypto-friendly betting site
- Over 25 years of industry experience
- A 24/7 chat service
- Attractive odds for most esports markets
- Excellent responsiveness on mobile devices
A pioneer in the online gambling industry, Everygame has been servicing customers since 1996. The brand offers a well-polished online sportsbook that fulfills all punters’ requirements in terms of sharp odds, high quality, and reliability. The company operates under the laws of the jurisdiction of Antigua and Barbuda where it is also based. It welcomes wagers from most parts of the world, the United States included.
Everygame runs on a state-of-the-art platform that stands out with an appealing yet user-friendly design. The sportsbook features more than 5,000 daily wagers across 20 or so sports, including soccer, gridiron football, basketball, tennis, ice hockey, cricket, boxing, and golf. Odds are also available for various non-sporting events such as presidential elections, lotteries, and stock market indices’ closing prices.
Esports wagering is also available on this innovative betting platform. Everygame takes bets on popular esports like League of Legends, Overwatch, and CS: GO. League of Legends receives the most extensive coverage, however. Action is on for all major LoL tournaments and leagues, including the LCK, LCS, LEC, LLA, LPL, and PCS.
New customers of the sportsbook can fund their accounts with various cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin, Litecoin, and Bitcoin Cash. Fiat-currency payment methods like Paysafecard, eZeeWallet, Visa, Mastercard, and ecoPayz are also an option.
BodogBet NowRegulatorsAntigua and Barbuda Financial Services Regulatory Commission (#2393)Min Deposit
- $60 for Ethereum and Tether
- $10 for Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin, and Litecoin
- $20 for bank transfers, cards, and Interac e-Transfer
Deposit MethodsWithdrawal MethodsWithdrawal Time
- $9,500 for the cryptocurrencies
- $3,000 for checks, bank transfers, and Interac e-Transfer
- Up to 1 hour for LTC, USDT, ETH, BCH
- Up to 24 hours for BTC
- 10 to 15 business days for courier checks
- 3 to 5 business days for direct bank transfers
- One of the most popular offshore sportsbooks
- Accepts BTC, LTC, ETH, and BCH
- A great Prop Builder feature
- Coverage of all popular esports and leagues
- Live streaming for major esports contests
- More than 20 years of industry experience
Established in 2000, Bodog is one of the frontrunners in the online gambling industry. The brand operates with a license granted by the authorities of Antigua and Barbuda and services customers from major markets like Canada. This is a full-fledged gambling site equipped with a live dealer section, online casino, poker room, a racebook, and of course, a sleek online sportsbook.
The sports section caters to all betting styles and preferences, offering odds for 30 different sports. Whether your passion is football, tennis, horse racing or basketball, we can confidently say this bookie will satiate your betting appetite. The site even takes wagers on celebrity boxing, award shows, politics, and reality shows. Betting on virtual races and virtual soccer is yet another option for Bodog customers.
The esports section is home to a vast range of markets for Dota 2, CS: GO, King of Glory, League of Legends, StarCraft II, Valorant, and Overwatch. Both pre-match and live odds are available to keen esports bettors.
Bodog also offers a great live streaming service for major esports contests but you have to be a registered member with a funded account to gain access to the streams. Topping up one’s balance is possible via bank cards and several cryptocurrencies, Bitcoin included.
- National Revenue Agency of Bulgaria (#000030-6315)
- National Gaming Office of Romania (#L1170664W000663)
- Malta Gaming Authority (#MGA/CRP/152/2007)
- Portugal Gambling Regulatory Authority
- Darmstadt Regional Council (#Az.III 34-73c38.01/30-20)
- €10 for e-wallets
- €5 for cards
Deposit MethodsWithdrawal MethodsWithdrawal Time
- €10,000 for cards, bank transfers, and Skrill
- €20,000 for Trustly
- €2,500 for Paysafecard
- €5,000 for PayPal
- Between 1 and 3 days for bank transfers
- Between 2 and 5 days for cards
- Up to 24 hours for Trustly and e-wallets
- Popular among European punters
- Covers all major esports competitions
- Outstanding range of deposit and withdrawal methods
- Offers betting on fantasy sports
- Request a Bet feature
- Early cashout
Licensed in multiple European jurisdictions, Betano is a sleek betting site with a remarkable selection of markets across many major and niche sports. The sportsbook delivers a high-caliber betting experience that is guaranteed to appeal to punters from all walks of life.
The site features hundreds of pre-match and in-play markets for American football, volleyball, cricket, golf, cycling, baseball, soccer, tennis, basketball, and more. Betting on events that are unrelated to sports is another option as politics and award shows have also made it to the list. Best of all, registered customers with funded accounts can watch the action unfold in real time thanks to the state-of-the-art streaming services offered by Betano.
As for esports, Betano takes action on Dota 2, LoL, CS: GO, Overwatch, Valorant, StarCraft II, and King of Glory. An abundance of esports markets is to be found here, including numerous player and team specials. Outright bettors will not be disappointed, either, as Betano provides a vast range of long-term esports bets.
The sportsbook is suitable for novices as it provides them with highly informative guides where they can learn all there is to know about placing wagers, using the live streaming service, the cashout feature, and more. A comprehensive guide on esports betting is available as well.
Esports Betting Overview
The esports betting market has grown in leaps and bounds in recent years as more and more punters are looking for alternative ways to wager. And it shows no signs of slowing down. Forecasts suggest this segment of the gambling industry could grow to reach a whopping $23.8 billion by 2028.
All mainstream sportsbooks are now readily taking action on competitive video gaming, allowing punters to place real-money wagers on their favorite esports players, teams, and competitions.
Esports Betting Sites Game Coverage
The term ‘esports’ refers to competitive video gaming where teams of gamers are pitted against each other in individual matches or entire tournaments. Major competitions usually unfold in front of live audiences at landbased venues. Fans unable to attend in person can watch the gamers battle it out on popular streaming platforms like Twitch.
The top-rated online sportsbooks also offer live streaming services, allowing punters to watch esports events and championships without having to navigate to a different site. Live streams are typically available for esports competitions on popular games like those we list below:
- Leagues of Legends (LoL)
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS: GO)
- Dota 2
- FIFA Football
- StarCraft II
- Call of Duty
Bets are on for different game genres, from online battle arenas and association football to first-person shooters. Before you start firing off bets, you should learn everything there is to know about the format and structure of the specific esports contest and the game it involves. This will enable you to make smarter betting decisions and improve your chances of cashing out.
Popular eSports Championships and Leagues
It is no exaggeration to say hundreds of esports contests are held throughout the year, with online sportsbooks taking bets on most of them. If you are new to esports betting, focusing on the most popular leagues will be a good starting point.
Once you learn the ropes, you can build up from there and start diversifying your betting portfolio. The esports tournaments and leagues listed below tend to attract the most attention among fans and bettors alike.
- The League of Legends World Championship (Worlds) has been taking place annually since 2011, with the number of participating teams gradually increasing over the years. Hosted by LoL publisher Riot Games, the tournament uses a double round robin format during the group stage and switches to single elimination for the main event.
- The Mid-Season Invitational (MSI) is the second biggest LoL tournament on a global scale. The regional champions in the Spring Split battle it out for the chance to qualify for the group stage of the LoL World Championship.
- The International is the global championship tournament for the online battle arena Dota 2. Organized by Dota’s developer Valve, the International consistently tops the list of esports tournaments with the largest prize pools. More than $40 million were awarded in prize money during the 2021 edition of the tourney.
- The CS: GO Major Championships first took place in 2013 and considerably expanded the circuit in the following years. The Majors are considered the most prestigious tournaments in the CS: GO universe and attract millions of viewers each year. The 2022 Major Championship was hosted by PGL in Antwerp and achieved a peak viewership of 2.1 million people!
The FIFAe World Cup (previously known as the FIFA Interactive World Cup) uses an open qualifying format that enables millions of soccer fans to participate during the initial online stages via the PlayStation and Xbox One networks.
The 2017 edition of the event broke all records as it saw a whopping 7 million players competing in the qualifying phases. The massive pool is gradually reduced to 32 finalists who battle it out for the champions title and the chance to meet the world’s top footballers at the annual Best FIFA Awards.
The competitions discussed above comprise a negligible portion of the esports tournaments you can bet on online. There are many other high-profile events to keep your eyes peeled for, including those we list below:
- CS: GO Elite Series
- LoL European Masters
- Dota 2 ESL One Malaysian
- Valorant Champions
- Call of Duty Championship
- Evolution Championship Series
Top Esports Organizations and Teams to Follow
We recommend you get to know the players and teams that participate in the esports tournaments you want to punt on. Look up their achievements, previous performance, and stats to better evaluate their chances of winning in future tournaments. You would not place a wager on a soccer match between teams you have never heard of, right?
Similarly, betting on esports contests requires sufficient research and knowledge of all participants involved in a given tournament, at least if you insist on being a winning punter. Here is a brief rundown of the top teams and organizations in the esports universe you should currently follow.
- Team Liquid was established in 2000 and went on to become one of the most successful organizations in esports history. The organization boasts a solid presence in South America, North America, and Europe.
- Overall Earnings: $39.8 million
- Number of Tournaments: 2,272
- Games: LoL, CS: GO, Dota 2, Fortnite, Hearthstone, and more
- Established in 1999, Evil Geniuses has helped shape the history of esports, boasting an enduring legacy and millions of dollars in tournament earnings. The organization has fielded gamers in a variety of games, including Halo, League of Legends, Fortnite, and StarCraft II, among others.
- Overall Earnings: $25.7 million
- Number of Tournaments: 932
- Games: CS: GO, LoL, WoW, CoD, Dota 2, StarCraft II, Rocket League
- Fnatic is another top-ranking esports outfit whose history began in the summer of 2004. It was the third most watched western esports team in 2020, racking up over 33 million fans worldwide. Fnatic also has a loyal following among esports bettors, having earned more than 28 different titles over the past 18 years.
- Overall Earnings: $18.1 million
- Number of Tournaments: 1,036
- Games: LoL, Valorant, Dota 2, Apex Legends, CS: GO, FIFA, and more
FaZe Clan exploded on the esports scene in 2010 and quickly established itself as one of the world’s leading esports organizations. Headquartered in California, the organization is home to a multinational community of players across various games.
The Clan has amassed half a million followers on the Twitch platform alone. The organization has joined forces with many popular personalities outside esports, including Kyler Murray from the Arizona Cardinals, LeBron James Junior, and rapper Lil Yachty.
- Overall Earnings: $13.7 million
- Number of Tournaments: 545
- Games: LoL, CoD, CS: GO, R6, PUBG, FIFA, Halo
Esports Markets and Bet Types
Any avid esports betting fan will readily confirm there are numerous ways to wager on competitive video gaming. Whether it is outright betting on which LoL team will win the Spring Split or predicting the correct map score in a Dota 2 contest, there is no shortage of esports bet types at our recommended sportsbooks. We walk you through the most popular markets for esports betting.
- Match Winner is the simplest and most widespread type of wager for esports as all you have to do is pick a team to win a given contest without a point spread. Both pre-game and in-play markets are available to esports fans who seek to back their favorite teams with Match Winner wagers.
Map and Match spread bets are two other common ways to punt on esports. Match spread betting involves the number of maps won during a given contest. Map spread betting relates to the number of kills a team has achieved on a specific map.
You either bet on the favorite to win by more than the designated number of maps/kills or back the underdog to win outright or lose by fewer than the specified maps/kills.Example of Match Spread Betting
100 Thieves -1.5
Team Liquid +1.5
A minus sign is used for the spread of the favorite (-1.5), while the underdog team is associated with the positive spread (+1.5). In this case, 100 Thieves are the clear favorite. If you choose to back Team Liquid, they must win the match by two or more maps for your wager to pay.
Respectively, Team Liquid is the underdog in the above example with a spread of +1.5. In the Best of 3 format, they must either win outright or lose with a score of 2-1. Your spread bet on Team Liquid loses if the score is 2-0.
Map spread betting works similarly. The only difference is the spread relates to the number of kills each team has made on a given map.
With Over/Under Totals, your goal is to predict whether the overall number of maps played will go above or below the total suggested by the oddsmakers. Similarly, you can also bet on the total number of kills achieved on a given map. Let’s say Natus Vincere is playing against Fnatic in a match from the CS: GO ESL Pro League.Natus Vincere vs. Fnatic – Over/Under Map Total
If you are confident this Best of 3 match will go into a third map, you will back the Over side. Conversely, you will bet on the Under market if you have reasons to believe either team will win before the game goes into a third map, i.e. the final score will be 2-0.
Proposition bets comprise a broad category of wagers, allowing you to punt on events that have nothing to do with who wins a match or a championship. One example is the First Blood market where the goal is to predict which team will make the first kill on a specific map. Prop bets are game-specific and vary across different esports. Below, we give you several examples of League of Legends props.
- Both Teams to Destroy an Inhibitor
- Both Teams to Make a Quadra Kill
- Both Teams to Kill a Baron
- First Dragon to Spawn
- Largest Multi-Kill
- Map Duration
- Either Team to Score a Penta Kill
- With outright bets, you are punting on the outright winners of entire championships or leagues. Odds are available months in advance but can fluctuate dramatically over time. Bookmakers often cut down their outright market odds when the events approach.
Odds Formats at Esports Betting Sites
All premium online sportsbooks enable customers to adjust the format of odds expression, depending on their preferences. You can easily switch to the odds format you are most comfortable with by logging into your account and navigating to the settings menu. Below are the three most common options you will encounter at esports betting sites.
- Decimal odds are the simplest to read and understand. The lower the decimal number, the higher the implied probability of an outcome. Teams priced at lower decimal odds are the favorites, while those priced at higher decimal odds are the underdogs. With this format, the original stake is included in the payout. A $20 bet that wins at 2.50 odds will return $20 x 2.50 = $50 in total, for a $30 net gain.
Fractional odds are the preferred format of British punters. As indicated by the name, the odds are expressed in fractions (4/1, 1/2, 3/5) and reflect the ratio between the amount wagered and the potential payout a winning bet can return.
Let’s say you back Team Liquid to defeat Moviestar Riders at odds of 3/5. A $50 wager will yield potential net profits of $30. The original bet is returned to you, so you will generate $80 in total profits in this case.
American odds are the default format at US-focused betting sites. Also known as the moneyline, they use a minus sign for the favorite and a plus sign for the underdog. Let’s say Fnatic is favored to defeat Team Spirit in a match from the ESL Pro League. Linemakers have priced Fnatic at -177 and Team Spirit at +129.
The negative number indicates how much money you must wager to win $100, $177 in this case. The positive number reflects the amount you can potentially win for every $100 at stake. Therefore, every hundred dollars wagered on Team Spirit will return $129 for a total profit of $229.
eSports Betting Sites FAQ
Is betting on esports legal?
Online betting on esports is legal in most jurisdictions that regulate sports wagering in general. Most gambling regulators treat competitive video gaming contests like any other sports competition. With that said, we recommend you to check whether online betting is legally allowed where you live as gambling legislation varies from country to country.
What is live esports betting?
Live betting, also known as in-game or in-play betting, is an innovative form of wagering that enables you to place bets on esports contests after they kick off. Simply put, this is the opposite of pre-match betting. Live odds fluctuate in real time, depending on what has happened up to a given point.
How much money can I win when betting on esports?
It depends on the amount you risk and the specific odds posted for your chosen market. With that in mind, most sportsbooks impose restrictions on the maximum amount you can risk per single bet. Maximum bet limits are site-specific and are usually listed in the terms and conditions. We suggest you inquire with customer support if you fail to find this information in the terms.
What are the most popular game genres among esports bettors?
Multiplayer online battle arenas like League of Legends and Dota 2 dominate the esports betting universe, eclipsing all other genres in terms of popularity. First-person shooters hold the line thanks to Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Overwatch. Sports simulation games like FIFA have slightly given way to these two genres but still have their loyal following among esports fans.
How to improve my chances of placing winning esports bets?
The surest way to boost your chances of winning is to watch as many esports competitions as you possibly can. Follow different esports teams and watch out for changes in their rosters. Another good starting point would be to gain an adequate understanding of how the odds and different bet types work.
Line shopping is also a great idea as it can boost your overall long-term returns. The practice involves comparing the prices at multiple sportsbooks so that you can find the best odds before you place a wager.